Named one of the two "Most Livable Communities" in Metropolitan Pittsburgh*
Whitehall became an independent municipality in 1948 after separating from Baldwin Township. It is located in the South Hills about six miles from downtown Pittsburgh. The main link with the Downtown is Route 51. The borough, with an area of 3.2 square miles, has approximately 15,000 residents.
Although most of the homes are single-family dwellings, there are a representative number of apartments and town houses. The South Hills Country Club is located near the Geographic Center. Whitehall is part of the Baldwin-Whitehall School District.
Amenities include a thriving public library; a large swimming pool and four tennis courts. In addition, six ball fields and playgrounds are located throughout the Borough.
The Borough is governed by a mayor and seven council members, all elected at large. Services are provided by an administrator and staff; a 20-member full-time police force and a public works department with 10 employees. All these, including Borough offices, police department and maintenance building, are located in an attractive 15-acre municipal complex.
Four PAT bus lines serve the Borough with quick access, via the Bus way, to Downtown. A shopping center, Caste Village, offers a wide-range of services and products.