Building A Deck
What is Required to Start Building?
Below are the items you will need to start building a deck.
- Zoning Permit Application
- BIU Construction Permit properly signed by property owner or his/her agent
- Workers Compensation Insurance Information or the contractors’ Worker’s Compensation Certificate naming Whitehall Borough as the certificate holder
- A survey or plot plan accurately prepared to scale showing the property boundary lines and any easements, the location of all structures existing or proposed including the distances from property lines, all utility locations, and parking and access details
- Three sets of construction drawings complete with elevations, structural details and materials to be used, and complete floor plans indicating the existing and proposed layout including the use of all areas
Building A Deck FAQ
What are the Regulations for Decks?
- Decks, including stairways and steps, shall be permitted to project into the required rear yard, provided they are located at least 25 feet from the rear property line.
- Decks shall not project into the required front or side yard.
What is the Permit Fee?
The building permit fee is determined by BIU of PA based on the improvement cost of the building addition.
How long will it Take to get the Permit?
Once zoning compliance is determined by the Borough, an application that complies with building code requirements must be issued in 15 business days.
What Inspections are Required?
The applicant must contact BIU of PA for final inspection of the building addition. Other inspections are required during construction.