Expanding A Driveway
What is Required to Start Building?
Below are the items you will need to start expanding a driveway.
- Driveway Permit (Please note: If your project includes a retaining wall 4’ (four feet) or higher, please use the BIU application.)
- Property survey showing the location of existing and new driveway pavement
- Stormwater Management Plan application form
Expanding A Driveway FAQ
What are the Regulations for Driveways?
- All off-street parking spaces shall be paved with an all-weather, dust free surface and all off-street parking shall be limited to paved areas.
- The new parking surface shall be a paved surface constructed from paving materials such as concrete, asphalt, brick or block.
- Expansion of existing parking surfaces shall be prepared to match the paving material of the existing prepared surface and shall abut the existing paved surface.
- The residential access shall be a single curb cut and shall not have a width greater than 24 feet (24′).
- In the case of a residential governor’s drive, one (1) additional access may be established that is not greater in width than 12 feet (12′), and the two accesses shall be connected with a continuous pavement.
- The parking surface shall not interfere with the free and safe flow of traffic on any public street, and if parallel to the road, shall be accessed by way of the existing driveway so that on-street parking is not affected.
- The ingress and egress of the parking surface shall conform to sight distance requirements.
- The residential parking surface shall comply with all other Borough and state requirements.
- Green space shall occupy a minimum of 50% of the required front yard for all residential zones. Green space is defined as an area with vegetation or natural cover which is free of impervious surfaces
What is the Permit Fee?
The permit fee is based on the cost of the project. If the project is less than $1,000.00, the permit fee is $25.00. For projects up to $50,000.00, the fee is $25.00 for the first $1,000.00 and $4.50 for each additional $1,000.00. The permit fee is payable to the Borough of Whitehall.
How Long Will it Take to Get the Permit?
If there are no issues with the application, the Borough strives to issue the permit in 10 working days.
Does the Driveway Need a Final Inspection?
Yes. A final inspection is required. Please contact Roxanne Dudjak at (412) 884-0505, ext. 324 to schedule an inspection.