ERECTING A FENCE
What is Required to Start Building?
Below are the items you will need to start erecting a fence.
Survey of property with the proposed location of the fence
Details or plan for the proposed fence
What Are the Regulations on Fences?
- Located in the rear and side lot lines of any lot (fence is not permitted in the front yard).
- No more than four (4) feet high.
- Located within established building lines of all abutting streets.
- Fence sections shall be equally spaced of the same dimension.
- An opening shall be not less than three (3) inches, except for standard chain link fence.
- Fifty (50) percent of the fence shall be open.
Swimming Pool Privacy Fencing
- A four to six foot high solid or closed-type fence is permitted for swimming pool enclosures, provided that such fence is within twelve feet (12′) of the pool walls.
- Two (2) sections, L-shaped, of ornamental fence shall be permitted as part of the landscaping at the corners of the property or at driveway entrances, provided the ornamental fencing:
- Is within the property line
- Does not exceed four feet (4′), measured from the common grade to the top of the fence, in height
- Does not exceed eight feet (8′) in length on each side
Townhouse Privacy Fencing
- Closed or solid wood, brick or stone fences shall be permitted on the rear dividing line between townhouses, provided the fence:
- Is straight
- Not over six feet (6′) high as measured from the common grade to the top of the fence
- Do not exceed more than eight feet (8′) from the rear of the adjacent townhouse extending furthest into the rear area.
- The same structure, design and style of fence may be used for all townhouses in any unit.
What Is the Permit Fee?
$25, (checks payable to the Borough of Whitehall) at the time the applicant picks up the permit.
How Long Will It Take to Get the Permit?
If there are no issues with the application, the Borough strives to issue the permit within five working days.
Does the Fence Need a Final Inspection?
Yes. A final inspection is required. Please contact Roxanne Dudjak at 412.884.1368, ext. 324 to schedule an inspection.