Installing A Swimming Pool
What is Required to Start Building?
Below are the items you will need to start Installing a Swimming Pool.
- Zoning Permit
- BIU Construction Permit properly signed by property owner or his/her agent
- Workers Compensation Insurance Information or the contractors’ Worker’s Compensation Certificate naming Whitehall Borough as the certificate holder
- Stormwater Management Application
- Copy of Homeowners Declaration Page
- Survey showing location of pool marking distance from property lines, overhead electric lines marking distance from pool, and where gas comes into the house
- A survey or plot plan accurately prepared to scale showing the property boundary lines and any easements, the location of all structures existing or proposed including the distances from property lines, all utility locations, and location of the air conditioning unit
- Three sets of construction drawings
Installing A Swimming Pool FAQ
What are the Regulations for Swimming Pools?
- Private swimming pools shall be located entirely within the rear yard area and no less than ten (10) feet from any rear property line.
- The minimum requirements for side yards shall be in accordance with the regulations of the zoning district in which the residence is located.
- Pools located on corner lots shall be completely screened by evergreen planting when viewed from the side street.
- A swimming pool shall be protected by one (1) of the following methods:
- A chain-link-type fence around the
rear of the property or around the pool not exceeding four (4) feet in height.
- A four-to-six-foot-high solid or closed-type fence, provided that such fence is within twelve (12) feet of the pool walls.
- A pool whose walls are four (4) feet above ground level and which is equipped with an automatic retracting and locking ladder need not be fenced. The ladder must be locked in the closed position when the pool is not in use.
Below are relevant sections of the 2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code:
What is the Permit Fee?
The building permit fee is determined by BIU of PA based on the improvement cost of the building addition.
How Long Will it Take to Get the Permit?
Once compliance is determined by the Borough, an application that complies with building code requirements must be issued in 15 business days.
What Inspections Are Required?
The applicant must contact BIU of PA for final inspection of the building addition. Other inspections are required during construction.