Installing an Air Conditioner
What is Required to Start Installation?
Below are the items you will need to start installing an air conditioner.
- Zoning Permit
- BIU Construction Permit properly signed by property owner or his/her agent
- Workers Compensation Insurance Information or the contractors’ Worker’s Compensation Certificate naming Whitehall Borough as the certificate holder
- A survey or plot plan accurately prepared to scale showing the property boundary lines and any easements, the location of all structures existing or proposed including the distances from property lines, all utility locations, and location of the air conditioning unit
- Three sets of construction drawings
Installing Air Conditioner FAQ
What are the Regulations for Air Conditioning?
- All outdoor air-conditioning units and exhausts from units shall be placed in the rear or side yard of the dwelling, immediately adjacent to the dwelling.
- No outdoor air-conditioning unit or discharge from any unit shall be installed on the side of a dwelling when that side faces a street.
- All side yard installations shall be screened with plantings from view from adjacent streets.
What is the Permit Fee?
The building permit fee is determined by BIU of PA based on the improvement cost of the building addition.
How Long Will it Take to Get the Permit?
Once zoning compliance is determined by the Borough, an application that complies with building code requirements must be issued in 15 business days.
What Inspections Are Required?
The applicant must contact BIU of PA for final inspection of the building addition. Other inspections are required during construction.